Pages

Wednesday 23 September 2015

Holly Madison Down The Rabbit Hole-Book Review

When I heard Holly Madison was releasing a book detailing her life in the infamous Playboy Mansion, I was just a little bit excited.( Disclaimer: I read all sorts of books. Just in case anyone is thinking this is the first thing I've read other than a magazine.) I LOVED the show The Girls Next Door (even if I was a little late watching it) which featured Holly and Hef''s two other bunny girlfriends running around the mansion doing bunny girlfriend things. Even though the show made it seem like they were living the dream, I always thought there was something kind of off and depressing about the whole situation, so I couldn't wait to read more about what Hugh Hefner is really like. 


The book starts off in Holly's hometown, explaining how she always wanted to be famous, and she talks about her college experiences and the like. It jumps into the Playboy side of things pretty quickly though, and from there on it's just a fun and interesting gossipy book, exactly what I expected. There are some crazy revelations about Hef and countless stories about bunnies in this book-and fair play to her for using people's real names! Holly goes into detail about the jealousy in the mansion, Hef's controlling behaviour and abusive nature, and how he would try to turn the girls against each other. She even talks about the fall of Playboy, and how it's basically lost all it's charm and allure. I'll admit before reading this book I would have rolled my eyes, called her an eejit and wondered why she didn't just up and leave, but you soon realise it definitely wasn't as simple as that. One thing is for sure, it all makes for a really good story. 
If I had anything bad to say about this book it'd be Holly's constant need to reassure the audience that she wasn't just in it for the money or the fame (which is a little bit silly) is just annoying and repetitive. She tries to defend herself A LOT and makes loads of excuses about why she couldn't leave Hef. It can be annoying at times but you kinda get over it because when she's not trying to come off as innocent, all the other stuff is really entertaining. I picked this up and I couldn't put it down, right until the end. 
My final verdict, this book wont win any awards, but if you're looking for a fun, girly read for a lazy Sunday, this could be right up your street. 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment