Pages

Friday 24 January 2014

Friday Film Talk: Watership Down...What A Crazy Film!

So I was scouring the net last night when everyone else was probably asleep, and I remembered this film I used to like when I was small, called "Watership Down". Well I looked it up on YouTube and my first thoughts were: "amm what?! I didn't see anything strange about this at the time?!" For those of you who don't know, I have a really crazy memory, so I remembered the film and what it was about, I just didn't remember ever seeing anything wrong with it. I watched it again for the first time in years last night and I just thought "woah-how is this so underrated?!" If you don't remember the film, you'll probably remember the tv show.



Now for those of you who don't know, Watership Down is a 1978 animated adventure featuring lots of fuzzy bunnies. I know, sounds cute doesn't it? WRONG! This film is directed so much more towards adults in my opinion. Animated films as we all know are usually intended for children, and that's why I think so many of them watched it. That doesn't mean it's not a brilliant movie though. The film is based on the novel of the same name by Richard Adams, who was known for writing dark novels featuring animals. 

So the film basically revolves around a group of bunnies who try to find a new home for themselves when Fiver (cool name) has a vision that their home will soon be no more. They go to the chief and he doesn't care, so a few bunnies set off on their own adventure. Hazel is our main man and the leader of the group, and I know you're thinking, "this sounds like a nice kids movie!" well let's talk about Violet, the only female rabbit in the group.


Oh wait, we can't because her friend up there just witnessed her being killed by a hawk! Seriously..not long into the film and one of our friends is already dead! I'm not complaining about the weirdness though, I actually think it's a cool representation of real wildlife. I've noticed as well that films were a lot more like this back in my day, but they're not anymore and maybe that's why it's such a shock to me now. I'm not gonna ruin the film for anyone who wants to watch it, but it's really crazy. It deals with loads of themes from trust, to society and it's been studied lots by students because there's just so much going on. 
It does get really weird in parts, I'll just let you all know now. There's extremely bloody fights and it can get very graphic. And look at the villain! 


"I'm really really creepy."

I don't think you'll ever see rabbits in the same way after this (who knew they like to fight to the death?!) and be warned for those of you who are really overly sensitive, it's kind of heartbreaking. I would have liked to have seen a little more character development but that's really my only complaint. The music is beautiful and so edgy at times, and some of the dialogue is weird, but hey-I love weird haha! 

I'm really blown away by how unique this film is and I really would watch it again. It's so honest for a cartoon and that's something we never see anymore. For 1978, the animation is really beautiful and the scenery is amazing.  

My score on this one: 8/10 for being unique and weird and really really cool. 

Thanks for reading everyone!
Soph :)


No comments:

Post a Comment